Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Car Movie Review - "Redline"

Well, that was an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. I know, I know I should have known it was going to be bad. In reality I did, it was in theaters for about 5 minutes and the only buzz it generated was when Eddie Griffin crashed an Enzo Ferrari during a publicity event for the movie. I just didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. In fact, it was easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life! Let's put it this way, it made the Fast and the Furious movies look Oscar worthy. And we all know how bad they were.

Now, you would think that the movie would provide some enjoyment for a car guy like me since it features a collection of fantastic exotic cars racing around for a good part of the movie. Wrong! I did enjoy looking at the cars and if they had just made a movie showing just the cars racing around, it may have been watchable. Instead they insisted on including the really bad acting, awful dialog and all around stupid story. Again, I shouldn't have expected anything less, the movie was the brainchild of a mortgage broker/real estate developer (Daniel Sadek) not a movie producer or writer. The whole movie seemed like an attempt to show everyone how much money he has since it was well publicized that the exotic cars featured in the movie were all his own private collection. Hell, he wrote off an Enzo Ferrari as part of the publicity for the movie.

The plot of the movie involves a bunch of really rich guys illegally racing their exotic cars around against each other for money. From there it degenerates into a lame attempt at an action movie. Eddie Griffith plays Infamous, a music producer, Tim Matheson is Jerry Brecken, a movie producer or something like that, and Angus Macfayden (he was good in Braveheart!) is Michael, a mob boss type. The rest of the cast is a bunch of no-names.

If you have to watch it, rent the DVD, turn down the sound when anyone is speaking and just fast forward to the car scenes. Maybe then it will be somewhat bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment