Friday, January 2, 2009

New year - new car

Happy new year. Well, after many years of complaining to my wife that even though I love cars, I've never owned one that I really wanted, I now have one that I set out to buy because I wanted it. Usually practicality or finances won out in the decision process involved in buying a car but not this time. This car was bought to be a weekend toy I can tinker with and have some fun. It isn't needed for daily driving or family duties just pure enjoyment.

What is it, you ask? It's a very nicely maintained 1994 Mazda Miata. It's anything but practical but it will be a lot of fun. First off, no I'm not gay. Anyone who thinks that the Miata is a hairdresser's car is severely misinformed and has never driven one. Not only are Miata's one of the most affordable rear wheel drive sports cars available but they are well balanced, easy to maintain, incredibly reliable and a hell of a lot of fun. They dominate autocross classes and even have their own race series in both SCCA and NASA.



My particular example has over 136,000 miles and still runs like new. The body is good and the interior and top are in great shape. My plans are to make it into a capable weekend driver with some autocross and maybe track events sprinkled in. There are tons of aftermarket parts available for the Miata so it shouldn't be very hard to make it into a nice little package. Check back for more on my project Miata.

No comments:

Post a Comment