Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thoughts on the GM bankruptcy



I've always been a fan of GM. More than any of the other US auto manufacturers, I've always gravitated toward their products more than Ford or Chrysler. That's not to say I wouldn't kill for a nice Mustang, Ford GT, or Viper though. I am a car nut after all. That being said, it is very sad that it had to come to this with GM having to choose which brands and models have to go. I really think that they were building some of the best cars in their entire history. Among these models the Cadillac CTS, Pontiac G8, Chevy Malibu, and Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky could all hold their own in comparison to any competition, foreign or domestic.

Lots of things contributed to the downfall of GM. Everything from the economy to poor management to the horrendous models they put out from the mid 70s through the 80s. I'll admit it, I've never bought a new car from any American manufacturer mainly because of that lingering bad reputation they all established in the 70s and 80s for shoddily engineered crapboxes. They got complacent, thinking they'd be on top forever and they didn't really need to try to build good cars. Of course, at this point, that reputation is more of a myth than anything and they looked to be turning it around until the economy put that last nail in the coffin. I just hope they can get it together and emerge a better company that produces better products. Especially since we are all paying for it. We may as well get our money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment