Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What Would You Buy If You Won The Lottery?



With all the talk of the recent huge Mega Millions Lottery drawing ($355 Million), I’ve been fantasizing about what cars I’d actually buy if I won such a huge amount of money.  I figured I’d try to come up with a list.

Now, I’m a pretty stingy (aka cheap) person normally and I don’t really think that would change much particularly when it comes to cars.  Sure, I’d buy a nice house, or two, and take awesome vacations and maybe buy a boat, but when it comes to cars, I’d probably avoid buying new for a number of reasons.  First, many of the cars I really want aren’t in production anymore so I’d have no choice.  Second, I just can’t see spending $250,000 - $300,000 for a new Ferrari 458 or Lamborghini Gallardo even if I have all that money in the bank.  I could settle for a nice Ferrari 360 or 430 and save a ton of money.  Heck, I call build a pretty nice collection of several cars for $300,000 total.  Third, let someone else take the depreciation hit.  Finally, I want to drive the cars, not be afraid to move them out of the garage because a bird may take a crap on them and ruin my investment.

With that said, here is my list of some of the cars that I would look to buy if I won a huge amount of money.

1)      Ferrari 355 GTS – My favorite V8 Ferrari of all time.  Last Ferrari I really loved.
2)      Porsche 964 Turbo – Preferably the 1994 3.6 Turbo.  Last single turbo 911T, last rwd only 911T and very few made.
3)      Porsche 993 Turbo – The best generation 911 ever.  Last of the air cooled wonders.
4)      Lamborghini Gallardo – Early Gallardos, 2004 – 2005, can be had for under $100K
5)      Acura NSX – Truly amazing car.  Always had a soft spot for them with or without the pop up headlights.
6)      Ferrari 550/575 – Sweet V12 Ferrari goodness.  550s can be had for under $80K.
7)      Ferrari 512 TR – More sweet V12 Ferrari goodness.  Evolution of the Testarossa with better styling and more power.  Channel my inner Sonny Crockett.
8)      BMW E46 M3 – Last great M3.  Last one I have any interest in.  Good for a daily driver.
9)      Porsche 996 C4S – Porsche purists show no love for the 996 but that just makes them more affordable.  Another daily driver possibility.
10)  Lotus Elise/Exige – Need a track car.
11)  Mazda Miata V8 – Love the Miata.  Would find a nice one and send it to Flyin Miata for a V8 conversion.  Brand new GM LS3, T56, and Getrag rear.  Turnkey and ready to roll for about $40K.  Modern Shelby Cobra.
12)  Factory 5 Cobra – Speaking of Cobras, I really like these kits.

I’m sure I can think of more but that’s a good start.  Best of all, with some smart shopping, that list above can be had for well under $1million.  Would you rather have all that sweet variety above, or one Veyron?  You know my answer.

What would your list look like?  Feel free to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment